Thursday, January 6, 2011

Listening Post: Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

"Enjoy every sandwich".
Zevon and I have had the slightest relationship over the years. I love the songs I've heard and, even though Roland, Werewolves, Excitable Boy, etc, are amazing tunes, I never bothered to give any album more than a moment. Until now. Getting them on vinyl is easy and cheap. I've already had a few on CD.
Whenever I think of Warren I get a lump in my throat. His death was saddening. I still get choked up when I listen to The Wind. But, by his own admission, it was his fault. He was scared of doctors. So he never went.
Even though he's not current, I still think he deserves a listen.




Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon - 1974

For me the trouble with Warren is that, after a while, all the songs begin to sound the same. He's a singer/songwriter, yes but he's so dark and troubled that you really have to invest in him. You have to read to really get all he has to offer. I love good lyrics, but for me, music has always overshadowed the lyrics. I can forgive crappo lyrics for the music. So, it's hard for me to penetrate a genre that I don't truly enjoy. Or traffic in.
That said, if one doesn't look at the lyrics, Warren Zevon is a great piano driven, pop rock offering.
If you do read his lyrics, its a masterstroke.

Grade A:
ASide: Mohammed's Radio, Hasten Like the Wind
BlindSide: Desperados Under the Eaves

No comments:

Post a Comment